A fashion designer is one of the most prestigious and creative professions. The fashion industry is characterized by high competition and speed of development. But at the same time, it provides opportunities for realizing creative potential, global recognition and high income. Its experts cheappaperwriting.com Prepared a guide on what steps you should take to become a fashion designer.
Step 1. Decide a direction
You can make a name for yourself in different cases. These are the creation of clothing for women, men, children, sportswear, underwear, theater, sports and movies. You can be a print or textile designer, stylist, creative technologist, fashion illustrator.
- Attend professional events.
- Don’t miss fashion shows, seminars and workshops.
- Stay on top of things and keep up with what’s happening in the industry.
Step 2. Learn the profession from the inside
The fashion design profession is often chosen based on an understanding of the surface of the fashion world. To understand what is behind the glitter of fashion shows, try to find an internship and see what a designer’s daily work consists of. Make sure you are comfortable with technical sketches, designs, patterns and layouts, sewing and many hours of trying.
Step 3. Get an education
If the internship convinces you of the accuracy of your choice – start looking for a university. In this case, vocational education is just as important as any other field.
You need to know:
- History of fashion and clothing;
- The peculiarity of working with different kinds of cloth, leather, fur;
- The stage of making clothes – from figure to catwalk;
- Market analysis and trend forecasting methods.
Must be able to:
- Draw by hand and in computer programs;
- Cut and sew;
- Understand the needs of the target audience;
- Guess and consider fashion trends;
- Offer non-standard solutions.
Some of the best quality programs in fashion are offered by Italian universities. They provide deep immersion in the profession and allow students to collaborate with well-known studios and fashion houses while studying.
The advantage of Italian education is its focus on practice. For example, while studying fashion design, students and graduates present their collections at Fashion Week. As a result, their work has been published in Vogue, Harper’s Bazaar, Elle, Marie Claire, Vanity Fair and GQ Magazine.
Tip: Today the author of the article Suggest finding your style. Find inspiration and ideas in different places: travel, visit exhibitions, study culture and heritage, meet new people.
At the end of your studies, you graduate with a creative portfolio or diploma. Also, you have a complete collection in hand, which students display at fashion shows inside and outside the university.
For example, the talented students of Istituto Marangoni designed a costume collection inspired by the Disney film “Alice in Wonderland”. Finished work participating in fashion shows. The result was praised not only by the media, but also by the Disney company.
Seven reasons to study design abroad
- Opportunity to learn from practicing teachers and fashion masters. For example, Guy Trusardi, director of Trusardi Fashion House; Sara Maino, editor of Vogue Italy; And Enio Capaz, creator of the Costume National brand. Everyone teaches in Domas.
- Intercollegiate mobility. For example, Mod’Art students may continue their education at US (Berkley College New York), UK (London College of Fashion and London Metropolitan University) and partner universities in other countries.
- Study in an international team.
- Workshop in production and studio. Students join together in creative collaboration and create their collections.
- Internships at fashion houses and companies worldwide. Notable among them are Valentino Fashion Group, Giorgio Armani, Trussardi, Versace, Masoni and Swatch.
- Participate in fashion shows and international competitions. For example, Milano Fashion Week, Business Link, Paris London Week.
- Modern campus facilities. Students access 2D and 3D scanners for measurement, including up-to-date content from the studio and media library.
Where to read fashion design
Estituto Marangoni (Milan, Paris, London, Florence)
Europe’s top creative university is among the top 5 best fashion universities in the world (Fashionista, 2016). Domenico Dolls is one of the most famous graduates. The institute offers one-year intensive, three-year programs (equivalent to a bachelor’s degree), a semester postgraduate program, one-year master’s courses (women’s fashion design, men’s fashion design, and others) and short summer programs.
Domas Academy (Milan)
One of the most famous universities in design, fashion and architecture is one of the top 8 universities in the world in interior design (Azure Magazine, 2016). The university regularly conducts seminars with Roberto Cavalli, Marni, Moncler, Costume National, Fergamo, Helena Rubinstein (L’Oreal), Red Valentino, etc.
NABA, New Academy of Fine Arts Milan (Milan)
The world-renowned Academy of Art and Design is one of the top 50 design schools (Domas Magazine, 2014). It offers undergraduate and graduate programs as well as summer courses. The Italian Ministry of Education recognizes all programs. In addition, the university collaborates with well-known companies. This approach gives students the opportunity to work on real projects.
No matter which university you visit, you may need the help of online services. Professional writers will help you with any writing. Including writing Business personal statement examples and tips.
Where do design and fashion graduates work?
A diploma from a foreign university offers a considerable advantage of employment. Graduates of European and American design and fashion schools are in demand in local and foreign fashion houses. The young fashion designer, who graduated from a university abroad, is trained according to the new program. As a result, they are aware of current and future fashion trends. Also, there is up-to-date information from teacher-practitioners. Thus, having such an expert in the team enhances the creative and commercial success of the company.